July 29, 2014

Eggplant & Mushroom Spread

Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
I have always been quite indifferent to bread. You know, there are people who can live no day without slice of bread. I am definitely not one of them. Choosing between salad + a piece of bread / salad + a joint of meat or fish, I will mostly always choose the second variant. 

But there is always a but....

Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
I really like freshly-baked bread, when it is still warm (or even hot). I remember in childhood, always when I went to the baker's for bread, by the time I came home the loaf was nibbled all over. I couldn't resist the temptation. I knew I was doing wrong (because what then would get the rest of the family??), but....ooohhh!...that smell of warm loaf in my arms! I still clearly remember it  now. The memories never die, preferences change. Today I can't allow myself such a "bread-eating" ritual on the run (I DO eat it at home, not so often though as a child))) 

But there is one more but.I am completely helpless, when any kind of spread appears on the horizon. 

Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
YES, I am a spread-addicted. 

Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip

Easy, quick and always tasty meal. Breakfast, lunch...whatever...even late at night. When it comes to spreads, I don't care, just like as a child!

This one, Eggplant & Mushroom, is one of my favorite (the cake takes Hummus...beyond compare).
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip

Eggplant and Mushroom Spread
700 g eggplants, halved
300 g mushrooms
1 big onion, peeled and sliced
4 tbsp olive oil
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini 
salt, pepper to taste 

To serve : cream cheese, toasted sliced bread, fresh rosemary 

Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
Preheat your oven to 180 C (356 F).

Place halved eggplants on a baking tray, toss with 2 tbsp olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes. Peel of the skin.

Meanwhile,  add onion and the remaining oil to a frying pan, cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium heat. Add  in cut mushrooms and salt, cook, stirring from time to time, until all the water vaporize (~10 minutes). Here you can also add in with the mushrooms some fresh rosemary (I have forgotten to do this...anyway, it tastes awesome).

In a blender place peeled eggplants, 2/3 of mushrooms (the remaining 1/3 - for serving), chopped garlic, lemon juice, tahini and salt. Blend until smooth. Let cool.

To serve, onto toasted slice of bread spread cream cheese, then eggplant & mushroom dip, top with remaining roasted mushrooms and decorate with fresh rosemary.
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip
Eggplant rosemary mushroom spread dip

No comments:

Post a Comment